FAQ & Glossary

Boiler FAQs

Small boiler part

Boiler Room FAQ’s

Open boiler control panel

About Us FAQs

View inside lit combustion chamber

Boiler- & Burner-Related Glossary Terms

Trying to learn your way around your boiler? These terms are a great place to start.

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
There are currently 14 names in this directory beginning with the letter M.
magnetostrictive sensor
Part of a level-measuring system for boiler water consisting of an electronics module, a waveguide, and a float containing a magnet that is free to move up and down a brass rod pipe inserted into a vessel from the top.
major source facility
A facility that emits 10 or more tons per year of any single air toxic or 25 tons or more per year of any combination of air toxics.
A draft gauge that measures pressure with a liquid-filled tube.
material safety data sheet (MSDS)
Printed material used to relay chemical hazard information from the manufacturer, importer, or distributor to the employer.
An acronym that stands for "mixture, atomization, temperature, and time."
maximum allowable working pressure (MAWP)
The operating pressure of a boiler as determined by the design and construction of the boiler in conformance with the ASME Code.
mechanical draft
Draft produced by power-driven fans.
membrane boiler
A watertube boiler that uses strips of metal alloy welded between the tubes to form a seal.
metering control system
A combustion control system in which the flow of fuel and air are measured and adjusted in correct proportions based on steam pressure.
modulating control system
A combustion control system that is used to adjust the firing rate to a degree that is proportional to the steam load through the use of a PLC or digital control system. Also known as a positioning control system.
modulating pressure control device
A pressure control device that provides local control of the firing rate proportional to the steam pressure.
moisture separator
A device placed in a wet steam line used to remove entrained water droplets.
motor control center (MCC)
A central location for troubleshooting and servicing motor control circuits.
municipal solid waste (MSW)
The trash or garbage from residential and commercial users that is collected for disposal.
Message icon

Contact Us

"*" indicates required fields